Interview - MORTA SKULD


If you don't know Morta Skuld, you can find out about them (and pick up their releases) here.

You really should know them, though - assuming that you're into death metal at least.

Guitarist and vocalist (and founding member) Dave Gregor kindly took the time...

1. Your debut album, Dying Remains (1993), is a death metal masterpiece. Do you have fond memories of recording and releasing it?

Just being in the studio was a very important time for us, as we were about to record our first album and didn't know what would come of it. I was going through some rough times and a divorce, but despite that I was still excited to create this album. I also thank you for your words about this album, which is still my favourite.

2. The following year (1994) you released As Humanity Fades, which is also a masterpiece. Could you tell us some of your memories of recording and releasing that one?

The band and myself had some disagreements, and they went their way and I went mine for a short period. I got a new line-up and they tried to find my replacement, and they also changed their tuning and wrote an album of material. At a Halloween party we all ran into each other and started talking, I went down with them to hear the new stuff, and we all agreed to get together and write few more songs and make the new album. I can say that for quite a few of the songs on this album I didn't do much (writing-wise) but I wrote all of my solos and lyrics, and recorded my own tracks. Musically this was a hard album for me, as the newer style they had been writing in wasn't really how I saw the band going - it had more of a technical feel.

3. Peaceville did a great job of reissuing your early albums recently, has that got you more of the attention that you’ve always deserved?

Yes, the reissues turned out great and I'm so glad we could do this. As far as attention is concerned I think it helped us to get back on people's radars, and that helped us to find some outlets that have given us some nice opportunities for sure. 

4. Peaceville also released your 2017 album, Wounds Deeper Than Time - a release which demonstrates that you guys still have plenty to offer. How has the response been to that?

So far things are going well with this album. It seems to be selling well and the response has been great, I'm very happy with it. I hope the next album does as good, and that the fans enjoy it as much as they did Wounds.

5. Were any of you in other bands, between Morta Skuld’s 1998 split and 2012 reformation?

Yes, Jason Hellman and I were in a band called 9mm Solution. We did two albums and toured, until the band ended in 2010.

6. Do you have any future plans which you can share with us?

Sure. We have a few fests scheduled, one being Maryland Deathfest; a few other mini-weekend out-of-state gigs; and we are supporting the Nile/Soulfly tour in our home town for one show, which we are excited to be part of. Other than that, more writing for the next album and more working on songs for our live set. 

7. Is there any chance you’ll be playing in the UK any time soon?

We are hoping to maybe come to the UK next year, but can't say for sure. I know our fans would love it if we came, and I feel we could do well. I thank you and our fans so much, and can't express how grateful we are to be doing this and that our new album is doing well.


More interviews: Memoriam / Ataraxy / Soulskinner / Necrot

Popular posts from this blog

Twenty-Five Underrated Old School Death Metal Albums

Incantation - Unholy Deification [REVIEW]

Hell's Coronation ‎– Transgression Of A Necromantical Darkness [REVIEW]